Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.
Mrs. “Tiny” Hill
(She was nick-named Tiny because she was tall. Women were not as tall back in 1898 as we are now…)
This turn of the century majestic Victorian home
was built in 1900 by Edward Y. Hill, son of a prosperous civil-war era
merchant, John W. "Bacon" Hill, "whose notoriously brazen
dealings with Yankee occupation troops garnered him the fortune passed on to
his sons."1 Visitors may take a short stroll to the city
cemetery to view resting places of Edward Y. Hill and his wife, Tiny Hill, and
other Hill family members. The house sits on the highest elevation within the
The house has a colorful background as well. It "was the house of Mayor Frank Dobbs and was a multi-tenant apartment building prior to falling into disrepair."2 In 1980 the house was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places. In 1994 an auto repair shop applied for a permit to demolish the house. It was as this time that Dale Burrell, Kennesaw Civic Design Commission member, took a real interest in the homes preservation. Mr. Burrell purchased the property to save it from any further demolition efforts.
In April 1999, just shy of Hill Manor's
100th birthday, the home was purchased by Kelly Ewing. Extensive restoration
efforts have brought the home back to its former grandeur. Kennesaw's
Historical Preservation Commission as well as the
Hill Manor is located in central Kennesaw and is 2
blocks from "The General," has huge trees and an incredible view of
1. "This Old
House" Cheryl Knape,
2. Kennesaw's Bright Side community newspaper.